Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 03:10:00
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerextended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Kansas cult leaders forced children to work 16 hours a day: 'Heinous atrocities'
- Ohio officials approve language saying anti-gerrymandering measure calls for the opposite
- Memories of the earliest Tupperware parties, from one who was there
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Sam's Club workers to receive raise, higher starting wages, but pay still behind Costco
- New Hampshire class action approved for foster teens with mental health disabilities
- A Trump Debate Comment About German Energy Policy Leaves Germans Perplexed
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- See Snoop Dogg Make His Epic The Voice Debut By Smoking His Fellow Coaches (Literally)
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- North Carolina’s highest court hears challenge to law allowing more time for child sex abuse suits
- Pharrell Williams slammed as 'out of touch' after saying he doesn't 'do politics'
- Hayden Panettiere breaks silence on younger brother's death: 'I lost half my soul'
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Proof Maren Morris and Ex-Husband Ryan Hurd Are on Good Terms After Divorce
- District attorney appoints special prosecutor to handle Karen Read’s second trial
- This $9 Primer & Mascara Have People Asking If I’m Wearing Fake Lashes
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
California law cracking down on election deepfakes by AI to be tested
Jean Smart, Ariana Grande, Michael Keaton among hosts for ‘SNL’ season 50
Man admits falsifying violent threats after fantasy football argument
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Eva Mendes Shares Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Are Not Impressed With Her Movies
North Carolina’s highest court hears challenge to law allowing more time for child sex abuse suits
Martha Stewart Claims Ina Garten Was Unfriendly Amid Prison Sentence